Lotus Racer


Print Friendly

1958 Lotus Eleven History – Short Version

This car is fitted with a full race Coventry Climax FWA engine and close ratio 4 speed BMC gearbox.
The car was imported into Australia from England in 1958 by Jon Leighton, son of the founder of Leighton Constructions.
The car has an extensive racing history. Originally fitted with a Ford-Wilment overhead valve conversion engine, the car blitzed its class during its early Australian racing career.
Periodically the car, which is also road registered, competes or participates in motor sport events around Australia.
Prior to being purchased by Richard Fewster in 1998, the car spent nearly 10 years as a show piece in the living room of its previous owner in Queensland. Since then it has undergone a significant mechanical rebuild including the fitting of a new Coventry Climax engine.

A significant feature of the car is its originality (with the exception of the engine) including drum brakes on all four wheels and suspension.